Wednesday 11 February 2009

Big Brother Mouse

We were still searching for some way to pay the world back for the friendly Thais that helped us after the mini-van crash.

There was a place in Luang Prabang called Big Brother Mouse where you can purchase school books and they are given out to the various schools in Laos to help them. Nic and I went along and bought a stack of books to give to the schools around Luang Prabang.

I'm a bit of a cynical soul and find charity often a little self serving and quite often diluted at the receiving end. I seemed to find this through some of my travels in Africa.

I was still umming and ahhing over the effectiveness of what Nic and I had done when we made it back to our guesthouse to see the fifteen year old boy who ran our guesthouse sitting there with a Big Brother book. He was learning to read. Once we saw that, I realised that maybe there are some organisations that are just trying to help.

We haven't paid off our debt to Thailand, but maybe we've helped someone a little bit somewhere. If you are in Laos, maybe take a look around the shop here...

No comments: